EnsureDR Quick Startup Guide for the Commvault
Ver:1.0 - 11/23/2022
EnsureDR is a software solution that makes sure your data recovery (DR) site works when you need it. By running automatically every few days, DR testing is performed and used to reveal issues that need to be addressed - keeping the business up to date with its DR state. EnsureDR supports DR solutions (data movers) such as Commvault, Cohesity, Carbonite replication, Zerto, VMware SRM, Netapp, Veeam B&R, Recover Point for VM, AWS, Azure ASR, and more.
In this quick startup guide, you will learn how to quickly set up the EnsureDR job to test VM's health check status using your data mover in your DR environment. For advanced features please refer to the full user guide. Please follow the instructions, and if you need additional help please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
To make EnsureDR works properly, there are a few prerequisites to set up in advance.
Servers and Console
One server with Windows 2016/2019 with 16 GB mem, 4 CPU, 250 GB disk, single NIC.
EnsureDR management VM (EDRM) should be located on the DR location of a testing environment.
The latest VMware VM tools must be installed on EDRM server and assigned a static IP.
Server must have only a single NIC.
Correct time zone should be set for the machines.
Server should be joined to a domain.
Domain account which is the local administrator on the EDRM server.
VMware vCenter user which has administrator rights.
The account that has the right to initiate the full recovery process of the VM.
Port 81 and 443 needs to be open from the main EnsureDR management server (EDRM) to the source and target Commvault servers.
Port 443 needs to be open from the main EnsureDR management server (EDRM) to the source and target VMware vCenter servers.
Port 443 needs to be open from the client workstation to the EDRM server.
SMTP port should be open for the reporting, from the EDRM server to the local mail server. Usually, the SMTP port number is 25 but can be different. Please ask your mail administrators for the correct port number.
If you have antivirus software running inside the EnsureDR management server, add an exclusion for API.exe and EDRRunner.exe.
SMTP mail service available for the EnsureDR server to send the report via mail such as local exchange or Office365/Gmail.
Commvault version 11
Prepare a server VM with a clean install of Windows server 2016/2019 (as described in the prerequisites table).
EnsureDR manager setup
- Log on with the service account you created in advance as described in the prerequisite document.
- Run the EnsureDRSetup.exe file as an administrator on the server you created upfront.
- Set a domain user credential that has local administrator rights on the EDRM server.
- Set up the default location for the installation, accept the license, and then install the product.
- Wait until the installation is finished; which, depending on the environment and components, may take a few minutes to complete.
- Save provided link for future access (used in steps below).
- When the installation is finished, restart the EDRM server.
Creating the first job
- Open the Google Chrome browser and navigate to the link you saved in the previous step
- A welcome message pops up in the browser, click on “Start Now”.
- Create a job in the next four simple steps
- Fill in the necessary information in the first step.
- Enter a job name
- VMware environment details for source and destination vCenter.
- Commvault data mover details for source and destination hostname.
- Workflow user, domain user with elevated privileges on windows local servers, and Linux user with proper privileges on servers added to the job.
- On the second step, network configuration, press next.
- Relevant for advanced jobs only
- For the third step, EnsureDR will fetch data from your Commvault data mover by collecting the Protected virtual machines.
- Select the desired servers that you want to test, click to move this server in the right panel job list.
- Finally, define the email address for a report recipient, schedule a time, and set up the job rerun frequency. Now you are ready to execute a job by clicking to "Save & Run" button.